Kuiseb River is older than the Namib Desert (the oldest desert in
the world) and therefore the tour by Kuiseb Delta Adventures promises
to be filled with interesting sights and facts, allowing visitors
the ability to enjoy the tranquillity of being in a desert dune
region. The tour highlights and includes:
• Details on how the delta came into being, why the delta
developed, what the area was like before the “Sea of Sand”
succeeded to cross the river and why the river and the dunes are
the reasons for existence for the underground fresh water aquifer.
• Details on the formation of Sandwich Harbour and Walvis
• Scientific information on the underground fresh water aquifer
and why it is endangered by modern man.
• Visiting different kind of dunes that exist in the delta
and detailed explanations of how the different shapes are formed,
how much they move in a given time and what the gradient of a slip
face is and why it never differs.
• Details and evidence of why the dunes have different colours.
• Evidence of five different stages as a dune moves over a
tree as well as over a Narra plant.
• Examining the desert fruit, the !Nara and the Sirub, explaining
how the plants adapted to this particularly harsh environment, sampling
what the fruit tastes like (in season) and how it is harvested and
used by the Topnaars (ancient local inhabitants claiming to be a
tribe of the Khoi-Khoin) as well as by the animals.
• Details about the present animals (jackal, elephant shrew,
oryx), birds (pale chanting goshawk, dune lark (endemic) & damara
tern (endemic)), reptiles (snakes & lizards) and some of the
insects that live in the delta. Sometimes we are able to show them
some of these living creatures.
• Visit and explore the different intact Topnaar middens (old
• View what these ancient inhabitants of Namibia ate, used
as tools/implements and as body
• Show physical evidence of petrified tracks of the Topnaars
and their goats.
• Show centuries-old ostrich eggshells that was used by the
Topnaars to keep water in and was
preserved being covered by dune sand all the time.
• We also show them numerous petrified tracks of almost all
the present land animals of Namibia e.g.
Elephant, rhino, buffalo, eland, oryx, kudu, giraffe, baboon, cheetah,
• Lastly, visitors are shown amazing evidence why the Namibian
coast is called the “Skeleton Coast”
The tour is an unforgettable experience that will certainly make
visitors realize that there is life in the desert regions. Do not
miss this wonderful opportunity and do not forget your camera to
immortalize this wonderful experience.
These tours is done on fully automatic quad bikes and is
suitable for the rider with no previous experience, even for children
and healthy elderly people. Although this quad tour differs vastly
from the “dune bashing tours” offered by all other quad
bike operators at the Namibian coast, it gives the riders lots of
fun to drive their own quads in the dunes and to safely play a little,
if they so wish. The wearing of safety helmets is compulsory. The
tours are done usually in the mornings only, because of prevailing
winds, but the weather permitting, tours are also done in the afternoons.
Soft drinks are included.